29 May 2008

Igniting the "Write" Brain

Scientists, in their pristine labs, have proven that there is a difference between right brain and left brain thinking. And although everyone was born with the capacity to use both, most of our right brain functioning was "schooled" out of us by the time we completed our formal education.

So, how then, do writers, artists, and other creative types access the right brain? And, more importantly, how do you ignite it when the muses are being snooty and ignoring your pleas for inspiration?

I've been a technical writer for most of my professional career--and I've also had a lot of creative energy to expend on my artistic adventures. That is, until 2002, when I decided to take a year off from business to pursue fiction writing full time. It was as if my creativity hit the wall going 90mph. Dead, dead, dead. No inspiration, no voices, no ideas. I'd sit at my computer, blankly waiting for new email to pop up. I'd sit at my drawing board, unable to select what color pen to pick up. Within two months, I was as close as I've ever been to clinically depressed. It seemed that everything about me that was me was gone.

It finally occurred to me that my left brain had belligerently taken over because it had nothing to do. With too much time on its hands, it became the neighborhood bully and pummeled my right brain into silence.

For me, my right brain is only free to speak when my left brain is quietly occupied with something else. It's why I was happily and creatively productive while pursuing a more technical career. I could give my left brain the assignment of thinking through a training program for a new application system while my right brain and I would kick back for the weekend and paint.

Everyone is different, but I can't quash, ignore, or outshout my left brain. I have to engage it. However you interact with your right and left brains is unique to you, but take some time to figure it out. The next time you need to ignite your inspiration, you'll be happy you did.

No comments: